No one reads this blog, and that’s okay.

Well, I shouldn’t say that. It’s probably more correct to say that a few people read this blog. I read it, my wife reads it. My friends read it when they have time, and there’s a handful of WordPress followers that read mine, because I read theirs.

Thank you for that.

When I started this blog in February, I didn’t have a plan. I saw what was happening in politics, and it compelled me to start writing again. There’s no growth outlook or marketing strategy. The PostModerate has a logo because I got bored for an hour on a Tuesday.

So, why am I here? Why bother?

In my third semester of college, I took an online class called American Frontier. We studied American mythology. The noble Indian in his state of nature. The rugged individual that strikes out into the unknown and tames the wilderness. The lone cowboy and his gun taking on injustice and challenges to his freedom. I’m reminded of these myths whenever I see John McClain or Jason Bourne.

Another important lesson I learned in that course is how pointless popularity is to history. Understanding mythology is about understanding its creator, not its audience. The stories people tell about themselves tell you about them. Who they were, what they thought, how they reacted to the events around them.

Right now, the media is creating a myth. The myth of an angry America ignoring conventional wisdom and giving a firm middle finger to the establishment. On the Internet, the same myth is being perpetuated by obnoxious voices bent on being heard. They’re angry at pretty much everything, and social media has given them a permanent influence over the historical record. Their heroes are Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders, archetypes of a new age in politics. It’s a fascinating story, but it’s not the whole story.

The other story is less interesting. It’s about a more moderate America, calm and demure. We see the challenges ahead, not through the prism of anger and blame, but through binoculars of optimism. Standing outside the polarized battles of right and left, we get lost in the middle. Our silence isn’t complacence, it’s an understanding of things as they are, and the shared validity in all points of view.

Nevertheless, we are silent. Almost absent from the historical record simply because those beating their chests have taken in all the air and swallowed us whole. Standing on the sidelines, we shake our heads and wonder what has happened to this country? When did our healthy skepticism bleed out and crust over into this harsh cynicism that only acknowledges the worst parts of life in America?

Will anyone speak up for us? Will we ever be heard?

So, I have to write this down. Future historians will need to know that the online rantings and media portrayals of 2016 left out the silent majority. They’ll need to know that another America existed beneath the anger. An America flush with rational citizens rejecting the popular pessimism of the moment in favor of positivity and hope.

Should the mob have its way, let us be the tragic victims of their rage. Or, let us be the heroes that put everything back together once the dust settles on this season of hate. Either way, our story needs to be told. The unpopular myth of a moderate America in the face of its most extreme elements. I am its creator, and this is the story I leave for history. It’s my counter-argument to the narrative.

No one reads this blog, and that’s okay. Because someday someone will, and they’ll know our side of the story.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Moderate Politics, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to No one reads this blog, and that’s okay.

1. Pingback: Solutions for a Revolution: How Bernie Sanders Supporters Can Save the Movement | The PostModerate

2. dearlilyjune says:

First and foremost, I read your blog, and I carefully consider what you have to say. Even when I don’t agree with you, your words make me think, and that’s important in a day and age of much thoughtless communication.

I’m going to expose my clear bias for a second: My husband is a solid Bernie supporter. While I agree with so much of what you have said, and politically, I am similarly aligned, I have trouble with the rhetoric of demonizing no matter which direction it’s aimed towards. You play the guilt by association game, painting supporters (like my husband) with a broad brush when you write that they are part of “an angry America ignoring conventional wisdom and giving a firm middle finger to the establishment.” You say they are “obnoxious voices bent on being heard” who are “angry at pretty much everything…Their heroes are Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders…”

I don’t see my husband espouse such anger as you claim. He is a patient man who listens to all candidates to carefully weigh his decisions and options. He is not a part of some myth: He is a real person who deserves real consideration instead of being inaccurately described as just another part of a demographic to which you don’t belong.

You imply that you are a member of “an America flush with rational citizens rejecting the popular pessimism of the moment in favor of positivity and hope.” But in your critiques of others’ politics, I see pessimism. In your targeting of trolls, I see someone who bullies the bullies in order to show bullying wrong. If you truly wish to represent reason and hope (and with your clear eloquence and skillful writing, I have no doubt you would be an excellent representative), then you, too, need to focus not on what divides America, but on what can unite us.

It’s clear you don’t support Sanders or Trump, and that’s fine. But you won’t convince other (post)moderates of your well-meaning intentions if you keep poisoning the well of others’ supporters. You certainly won’t change the minds of those who aren’t already aligned with your politics if you can’t demonstrate an understanding and consideration for beliefs that aren’t your own.

As your reader, in other words, I crave more focus on what *you* believe and less attacks on those who don’t believe as you do.

Liked by 1 person

• J. Lee Hugar says:

Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate when someone takes the time to respond with such well thought out ideas, even when they disagree. I can see where some may come to the conclusions you did when reading my blog. And I do acknowledge that I make generalizations. Unfortunately, generalizations need to be made when there’s a majority sentiment being portrayed by the media and represented online.

I have friends that are Sanders supporters who are very much like your husband, and we have discussions about what’s going on, and to large degree, they agree with my feelings. One friend in particular took it upon himself to share my “Sanders Hive” article with other Sanders supporters to point out the bad behavior of some, not all, Bernie people online. Simply put, people like your husband aren’t the target of my writing, so they shouldn’t take offense.

This blog is and will be so much more than what’s happening right now. If you look around, you’ll see the balance. Particularly under the moderate politics category on the right. I’ve laid out a very specific platform and agenda that I think can unite people. Over time, I’ll be getting into more details and specifics. My goal isn’t to change the minds of anyone, but rather to find and lend a voice to like-minded people. Anyone is welcome here that wants to be here.

One thing I cannot do, is turn a blind eye to what I see as wrong in 2016. It isn’t all Trump supporters and it isn’t all Sanders supporters, that’s true, but both candidates are garnering votes by playing off of populist anger. I see that as dangerous to our country. On the one side is xenophobia, the other, class warfare. As long as their supporters qualify this anger and hatred with their actions, I’ll continue to call them out for it. It’s wrong, and I won’t sit silent while it goes on. I see nothing wrong with providing a counter-argument to their narrative, because it’s sorely lacking.

Liked by 1 person

• dearlilyjune says:

Thank you for your response, and I agree about the necessity of your counter-argument. You seem to qualify your statements more in your comments than in your main posts, and I appreciate that. I just worry that those who would read your (incredibly important) thoughts at a glance might miss key elements of your points because they’re rendered defensive by what seem to be over-generalizations. Again, though, I think we agree to disagree, not on your arguments, but on your word choices and their implications. I’ll continue to read and think about what you’ve written, and I thank you, once more, for the exchange.

Liked by 1 person

• J. Lee Hugar says:

Fair enough. Same here. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. Sometimes it seems there is just too much information such that we cannot write or speak anything that will stand out without some hype or bend. You wrote very plainly and well what many think is going on out there.

Liked by 1 person

• J. Lee Hugar says:

Signs of the times, I agree. It’s good that we all have very personal reasons for writing that transcend acknowledgement of our efforts. If I didn’t get these thoughts out, they’d take over.

4. I really enjoyed this, and am in the same boat except I just started mine 2 days ago. Either way, if you keep writing like this you might make it big.

Liked by 1 person

5. Possibly portentous.

Liked by 1 person

6. Anonymous says:

I think many people read your writings. Maybe some just like to enjoy the thinking of a smart man without engaging in dialogue. Whatever the case may be, keep up your blogs. There always is something learned.

Liked by 1 person

Comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s